Friday, October 19, 2007

Small-talk-turned-life-coaching

A co-worker asked me how my kid was. I replied that she was great and then inquired the same of his pile of kids. He told me how much fun they were and how much fun he has with his family, then asked when I was going to get working on adding to my own pile. I pointed out to him that the lack of marriage in my life lessens my desire to create additional children. He agreed, stating that it's hard on the mama and the kid when you're "Doing that Lone Ranger shit."


He then said the absolute best thing that has ever been said to me regarding my life as a mom without a man around every day... "You gotta stop trying to be the Lone Ranger. You gotta find your Tonto and start working on your tribe."

So I'm wondering: If I'm the Lone Ranger, why don't I have a mask? Do I need to get one? Is that why I'm still so single? It's a good time of year to find masks, I guess, so that's good because at least I shouldn't have a hard time obtaining one. But does it have to be black? Can I get a green one? Maybe a green one with turquoise sequins or something?

And where the hell am I supposed to find a man named Tonto?

6 comments:

Maddie said...

I totally heart your Lone Ranger life coach!

I think we will both find our Tonto's at Sunday brunch. Send me a text if you're interested!

Sarah Bellum said...

Save a Tonto for me!

Minnesota Fan said...

"Tonto" means "stupid" in Spanish. And what T called the Lone Ranger, "Kemosabe," is a bastardization of "quien no sabe," which essentially means "know-nothing."

So they were constantly insulting each other. I think it was just a cover for some kind of "Brokeback Mountain" deal, though.

Anonymous said...

Listen to the Minnesota Fan. He knows. In fact, I turn to him regularly to solve many of lifes verbal little disputes. Particularly those including commas.

Tonto is way overrated.

rockandcookies said...

Pants and Sarah: Too bad on the not finding Tontos.

Minnesota: If "Tonto" means stupid, maybe I shouldn't be looking for a "Tonto" so maybe I should find a better name to look for, but I still want sequins...

Girl: He makes me self-conscious about proper hyphenation. I think I have commas down, however, as I am the queen of run-on sentences.

Sarah Bellum said...

Silly Aimee, there's nothing sexier than a man who knows where to put a comma. Clearly it's time for me to go to sleep. Club soon, please.