Sunday, December 30, 2007

I think that this time of year lends itself to introspection and retrospection and a feeling of looking forward and looking back and a whole lot of other sappy-ness. For me, most such sappy-ness has usually been dismissed as silly or even stupid. The whole "New Year" thing has been little more than a reason to buy a cute new calendar for the kitchen wall, spend a couple of hours writing events on it and accenting the little squares of the holidays and special days and being happy that I have Sharpies in a wide array of pretty colors. I've never been big on making resolutions just because a calendar told me to, or getting that feeling of newness that people talk about. A few weeks ago something changed in me. I am excited for the future and what it holds. I am excited for a new year and a new life and my brain and heart have been twirling over the possibilities of what lies ahead.

I want to simplify and de-clutter my life. I want my home to run smoothly. I want to tackle the projects I've been putting off. I want to stop worrying so much about things. I want everything about my life to be warm and open and inviting. I want to make time for simple and terrific things. I want to enjoy every single moment. I want to sing at the top of my lungs and not care who might hear. I want to dance in the kitchen. I want to continue to form traditions with my family. I want to have parties and dinners and fill my life with love, laughter, and the people who mean the most to me. I want to continue to make my parents proud. I want to accept silly romantic notions as reality. I want to be unafraid.