Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

Mother's Day this year was good. I feel warm and fuzzy and loved.

It actually started on Thursday with a large bouquet of what I think must be some sort lily. They are huge and beautiful and they make the whole house smell like... honestly they make the whole house smell like the flowers should really experience some time in the great outdoors... Flowers have defense mechanisms to avoid being eaten, and mother nature did a great job of making sure nobody wants to eat these guys. The card that came with them said "Happy Mother's Day!!! Love, Devon and Lora" Upon reading it, Lora announced "It says they're from me but I didn't even know you were getting them." Apparently it's time to have a talk with her about how sometimes Daddies just order things from the internet and she should just quietly take the credit.

Friday there was a small lavender plant in a hand-painted pot that Lo made at school. I vowed in my head not to kill this year's school project plant. I gave it some water and put it in the kitchen window next to last year's pot which now contains a cactus with a pink head because the plant that was originally in it didn't last very long in my care.

Saturday there was a construction-paper card from Daniel, complete with a scotch-taped magazine picture of a mama penguin with about a million fuzzy brown babies that said to remember that no matter how hard it seems it is to be such a great mom and even though I feel overwhelmed sometimes "It can always get worse" and praised my oatmeal-making skills, told me I am an amazing mom, and that he loves me. I told him it was the best card I've ever gotten, and that was the truth. Any guy can go buy a card but I'm super lucky because I have a guy who is thoughtful and always on the alert for things like that picture, which is ultra-fitting considering our house is full of penguins because Lora is obsessed and I like to feed her obsession whenever possible because I like them too.

Sunday Daniel got called in to work so I had the day to myself until it was time to go to my mom's. I did some laundry and cleaned the bathroom. When we got to my mom's all of the other kids were already there and playing in the back yard with Cuzz and Dopey (The newest grandkids... my brothers' pitbull puppies... they even gave my mom a card.) We did the usual trickery where we sign the cards that were purchased on the way to my mom's, and went inside. My mom made out like a bandit in the Olive Garden gift card department... She got multiple ones. Maybe because her kids know she should have the "Luxury" of getting to go out to eat somewhere that you don't fill your own drink once in a while, so we fund it for her. She told us a story of how she had found a coupon and used it WITH the gift card she got for Christmas, so she got to have an appetizer and an actual drink.

I started typing about Suzanne and it got to the point where I was afraid it would get lost in all of this, so I'm going to make a different post about Sister Day.

No comments: