Friday, May 15, 2009

Going Local

I've been thinking quite a bit lately about how we should be supporting local businesses as much as we can, in order to help them survive in current conditions. I got this link from yourheartout.com and it seems like a good idea.

http://www.the350project.net/home.html
(You have to cut and paste because I don't know how to make it into a link, sorry for my lack of nerd skills.)

Now for a ton of rambling:

One problem I have faced is how to support local business without tearing my family's budget to shreds. For instance, Harmon's grocery store has had commercials recently where Bob and Randy tell us how great their store is and how their prices are competitive. Daniel and I decided to give them a try and after walking up and down a few aisles and seeing that everything on our list would be a lot more expensive there, we went to Target. We simply couldn't afford to support the local guy like we wanted to.

We plan on frequenting the Farmer's Market this Summer, and on growing our own veggies too. We're going to buy baby plants, and if we can afford to buy them from a local nursery rather than Lowe's or Home Depot, we will.

I have stopped getting coffee from a national chain if local options are available. (I try to have home made coffee but it's hard when I'm away from my home so much). Village Coffee on State street has better coffee than Starbucks at a lower price, resulting in the local option being a better value, whereas Beans n Brews charges so much for an iced americano with the right amount of espresso in it that I feel like I've been beaten and robbed if I'm forced to go there.

As for clothes, kid clothes from local merchants cost an arm, a leg, and half a head of hair. Aside from second hand, I don't know of any decent options. Daniel and I buy a few things second hand, and most of his clothes that he does buy new come from Milo or Salty Peaks (both local board shops). I cannot say the same for myself. Most of my clothes come from national chains. But what about this: My sister works at a clothing store where I buy a lot of things that I would likely purchase elsewhere if she didn't work there, but I shop there to support her (and because they have cute stuff and a nice discount). People buying from national chains keeps a lot of people employed.

I know that nobody is telling me to buy ALL Local, ALL the time, but where is the line? Maybe for me it's a lot about breaking out of routines. For instance the day spa that shares space with my chiropractor sells the mineral make up that I wear, so I can buy it there next time I need it instead of buying it from Nordstrom.

There's also the question of franchises. The 3/50 site excludes them, but what about a case where the franchise is owned by a person rather than an investment company that owns multiple franchises? Isn't it still good to support the little guy who bought into the American Dream? Bajio by our house has cut way back on everything and charges extra money just to breathe the air in their space, it seems. The kid who owns it used to be in there working all the time,but it has been a while since I've seen him there (although admittedly, we don't go nearly as often as we used to). I know he's just trying to keep his shirt like everybody else, but it seems like they shouldn't be making it harder for their customers to afford to eat out. Then again, who is at fault for the over saturation? We have two within a mile of each other, and many, many more very close by, excluding the brand new one on 90th South that just went out of business. Is the parent company to blame? Or do we decide that the franchisees made poor decisions regarding location, traffic patterns, market saturation, etc.?

I've lost most of my train of thought on this one now. Lo and I are off to the Living Traditions Festival downtown this afternoon, and then we'll probably stop and look at baby veggie plants at Millcreek Gardens.


3 comments:

Suzanne said...

i say.. do what you can.

I think people can be to hard on themselves with both the buy local and go green initiatives. they are both great ideas but if im being honest.. its a lot of pressure! Gotta go to these stores.. buy these products.. put my purchases in these other bags... etc. I feel a little overwhelmed by a lot of it (and sad because I also can't afford to shop at places I would rather support) but all i can do is try... maybe Im not making the impact I would like to make but Im doing what works for my family and life situation.

Stacey said...

Aimee, I am very inspired right now! I really think I'm going to have to blog about this as well! As far as grocery stores are concerned, you could also try Maceys or Dans. Both are local, clean, and I know Maceys has great prices and AMAZING customer service! There is one on 1300 E and 7200S. And you also inspired me to finish my yard shopping at a local nursery instead. Thanks for the thought!

rockandcookies said...

Sue - It's true about the bags. Do you sort of feel guilty when you don't have reusable bags, or enough of them?

Macey's and Dan's are so Local that they aren't open on Sundays, which is when I do my grocery shopping. I will have to check out Macey's and see if they're worth flipping my routine inside out for.