Sometimes I start writing comments and then decide that I should just make a post. This is one of those times. I got a blog comment about relationships leading to weight gain and I must say I was a little bit puzzled about it. Yes I am in a (super awesome/dreamy/wonderful) newish relationship. No I do not think it will lead to me getting more round. In the past couple of months I've learned (or rather, been smacked in the face with) a lot about how love and relationships are supposed to work. I'm pretty sure that if I survived nearly five years of dating without getting any rounder, my weight is safe now that I feel more happy and secure than I've ever felt in my life. I'm going to start rambling now, but please know that what I am going to say is no reflection at all on the comment that got me thinking, or on the person who made the comment. I started thinking and then started typing, that's all.
I'm wondering why/how relationships in general would lead to weight gain.
Is it because when people are in love and know that they are loved, they sort of "let themselves go"? I don't think I have to worry about that because if anything, I feel inspired to take better care of myself because I want to be healthy and strong to enjoy every minute of the next 60-or-so years. There are so many things to do and to look forward to in life as a woman, as a mother, and as a partner.
Is it because relationships are frustrating and lead girls to turn to pints of ice cream for comfort? There are a few reasons I don't have to worry about this, the first being that if I eat more than four bites of ice cream, my system reacts to the large amount of sugar and I feel tired and sick so there's a pint of ice cream that's been in the freezer since December, and it's about half full. Beyond that, while I am waxing not-so-poetic about relationships I might as well state that one thing I have learned is that love shouldn't be frustrating, and when concerns do arise, the best thing to turn to for comfort is the other person in the relationship. If they love us, we should be able to address concerns without fear, and with the knowledge that with love come support and understanding.
Is it because the fact that new relationships involve "dating" and dating involves going out for expensive meals and drinks? I get more joy from making dinner at home together. Going out can be fun once in a while (I couldn't be more stoked for my Valentine's Day dinner plans, for example) but really, if we are partners and have common goals for our future together, shouldn't we be concerned about every aspect of each other's well being, and things like saving money for big travel plans, etc.? Standing in the kitchen talking about our days while the meal cooks, sneaking kisses and cuddles in between tasks, listening to music and truly enjoying being together is way more impressive to me than any hundred-dollar meal ever has been.
Maybe it's simply because people equate enjoying themselves with indulging in good food and drinks. Good thing I have a knack for making things that are healthy but still super yummy! Whole-wheat, no-oil, sweetened-with-Splenda banana bread anyone? (Even work boys like it... I just don't tell them it has such horrifyingly non-fattening ingredients).
Is it because when people are in love and know that they are loved, they sort of "let themselves go"? I don't think I have to worry about that because if anything, I feel inspired to take better care of myself because I want to be healthy and strong to enjoy every minute of the next 60-or-so years. There are so many things to do and to look forward to in life as a woman, as a mother, and as a partner.
Is it because relationships are frustrating and lead girls to turn to pints of ice cream for comfort? There are a few reasons I don't have to worry about this, the first being that if I eat more than four bites of ice cream, my system reacts to the large amount of sugar and I feel tired and sick so there's a pint of ice cream that's been in the freezer since December, and it's about half full. Beyond that, while I am waxing not-so-poetic about relationships I might as well state that one thing I have learned is that love shouldn't be frustrating, and when concerns do arise, the best thing to turn to for comfort is the other person in the relationship. If they love us, we should be able to address concerns without fear, and with the knowledge that with love come support and understanding.
Is it because the fact that new relationships involve "dating" and dating involves going out for expensive meals and drinks? I get more joy from making dinner at home together. Going out can be fun once in a while (I couldn't be more stoked for my Valentine's Day dinner plans, for example) but really, if we are partners and have common goals for our future together, shouldn't we be concerned about every aspect of each other's well being, and things like saving money for big travel plans, etc.? Standing in the kitchen talking about our days while the meal cooks, sneaking kisses and cuddles in between tasks, listening to music and truly enjoying being together is way more impressive to me than any hundred-dollar meal ever has been.
Maybe it's simply because people equate enjoying themselves with indulging in good food and drinks. Good thing I have a knack for making things that are healthy but still super yummy! Whole-wheat, no-oil, sweetened-with-Splenda banana bread anyone? (Even work boys like it... I just don't tell them it has such horrifyingly non-fattening ingredients).

2 comments:
You're in love and it suits you. END OF STORY!
Coffee soon? Baby Jesus wants to know.
I wish I had your resolve. I always overeat when I'm really stressed, or when I'm getting comfy in a relationship. My sister on the other hand, looses weight like crazy. Lucky duck.
Post a Comment