Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday


King Cake..., originally uploaded by rockandcookies.

I'm not catholic, and it's been more than 20 years since I've stepped foot in New Orleans, but I decided to attempt a King Cake this year. It puffed up in the oven way more than I thought it would, but it wasn't bad for a first attempt.

The dough recipe was fairly easy and I learned a few things. The most important? Stop using whole wheat flour in treats, they don't taste as naughty if you do. The recipe called for 6 cups of flour and I put whole wheat flour for two cups of it. It tasted good but it was a little heavy. Daniel fixed that by gooping his slices up with extra icing... I actually prefer things a little less sweet because I've gotten so used to living with reduced sugar intake the past several years.

Next baking adventure: Cinnamon rolls. I'll use the same recipe as I did for the cake, but goop them up quite a bit.

I further celebrated this day of sinfulness by having a delicious greasy mexican lunch with the guys from my office. If you live in SLC and haven't been to Miramar on 13th south sort of by the Wal-Mart, I'm going to go ahead and reccomend that you do. Seriously the best beef taco I've ever had. Maybe because I've been craving red meat lately, but probably because it was just yummy. The place looks a little (or a lot) sketchy from the outside (the reason I never, ever would have thought to go there if it hadn't been for the guys) but it's really not scary at all.

2 comments:

Maddie said...

That King Cake looks tasty!

I'm making meatloaf for dinner. Yippee!

Sawcutting Shogun said...

LONG LIVE KING CAKES!!!!!!