Saturday, February 7, 2009

I'm Broken.

I broke my ankle. It happened Wednesday, Jan. 28 at about 8:30am while I was walking up to a job site for work. I had been to the site the day before, and I had worn silly girly (kitten heel, pointy toe) shoes. The property had been a bit icy, so as I was getting ready for work the day I fell, I thought to myself "You'd better wear sensible shoes today, just to be safe." So, I did. I wore rubber-soled flat shoes and ended up screwed for probably three months.
Lesson learned: Pretty shoes will save you.

On Monday Feb. 2 I had surgery to put my ankle back together. I have a plate and two screws, my new friends for life. Of course if I have to have a plate installed in my body, I would have preferred for it to be in my head, it'd make for better jokes... But I'm sure my new ankle will get a new name and have plenty of adventures herself.

On Wednesday of this week, Suzanne and Wendy came over for part of the afternoon. We washed my hair, combed out the rats nest it had become (um, navy blue blanket lint, anyone?) and put it in braids to prevent further weirdness on its part. If less than three days of laying around being gross could cause the matting and nastiness that I saw, I really wonder what the heck is in dreadlocks. Seriously, each lock must be 40% hair and 60% crud (I'm probably being nice with my percentages.)

Daniel has been such a super help. He's been playing "Mother Hen" and doing a great job. He's made dinner every night since I got hurt, and he's taken on all of the laundry which had gotten backed up, and he even scrubbed the downstairs bathroom, which hasn't been used since at least July because it's weird and scary and has been wishing and hoping for a remodel since we moved here, but has been partially torn apart since the flood/mold discovery. The mold problem was taken care of as soon as it was discovered (um, Dear Old Ladies: Stop putting carpet everywhere including bathrooms, it's gross! Love, Me). The new tile is actually sitting in the driveway because it was set for delivery the day after I fell. Anyway, Daniel cleaned the bathroom so that I could go back to sleeping downstairs in our bed without worry of having to hike upstairs in the middle of the night. How dreamy is he!?!

Lora has also been a huge help. She's the biggest silver lining in all of this. She's learning to pitch in and do things for herself and the family a lot more, she can even help with the laundry. I drew a diagram for her which showed the knobs, buttons, and controls on the dryer and gave her instructions on what to do with each, and she dried a load of towels for me. She can also make coffee now! We're changing the name of my kitchen from AimeeBux to LoBux. She's been very good about being a cheerful helper with everything I need, and we've even tackled a couple of sorting projects that have been needing to be done for quite some time.

Yesterday my new ankle and I went out to lunch with Suzanne. It was the first time I'd left the house since surgery, and it felt good to be out. We had chinese food for lunch, and then went to Target to pick up my new glasses and a few other things. I swallowed my pride, and as Sue put it "Got over myself" and used one of those motorized cart things. Sue had to walk next to me holding my crutches, and we were mortified. We learned that people really only care about themselves. The stares I expected didn't come... Nobody even really looked at us at all. Sue said it was a lesson in humility. I said it there is a difference between humility and humiliation. I will never understand, though, why anyone would use one of those things when they didn't absolutely have to. The highlight of the entire excursion was when, at some point, I needed to back up to get away from the too-crowded pharmacy area, and the thing started to BEEP. I really thought I might die of embarrassment and froze for a second, then decided it was better to just go forward and turn around a bunch if I needed to. I'm positive that moment is forever etched in both of our minds.

This has been a lesson in getting over my pride. I've had to ask for help, and I've had to let people help. I've had to show that I am vulnerable. I didn't go to work at all last week. In my bravado, before surgery, I really thought I could be a hard-ass and make it back to work on Thursday or Friday. Now with how exhausting getting around is, I'm not even positive I will be up to it on Monday. I'm setting tiny goals for myself to prepare for it. I will conquer the stairs in my house multiple times today. At first I was going to say I would go up and down ten times, but I changed it to five. Also, I left the house three times yesterday. Once for about 5 minutes, once for about 2 hours, and again for about an hour to go out to dinner with Lo and Daniel. Today I don't really have any particular reasons to go anywhere, but I would like to go somewhere just to get off of the sofa.

Perhaps I will get my hair cut? The last time I did it was December 2007. It was the day of my second date with Daniel and when I got out of my car, he exclaimed "Look at you with your hair all did!" with his silly southern drawl. At any rate, I don't even know where to go or who to call for a haircut anymore. I stopped going to my one boy because I had a chick friend who had started doing hair, but she went back to real college and doesn't do hair anymore and it's been a few years since I've gone to the boy so I'm not sure how it works to go back, or if I can even begin to think to afford him.

9 comments:

Becky Cochrane said...

When I had two cracked vertebrae and a slipped disk, I learned to LOVE the motorized cart. The first time I used it, when I was shopping by myself, everyone teased me. But when I went Christmas shopping with Tom and he saw how my body locked up with pain a few feet inside the store, he couldn't get that cart fast enough!

I learned to appreciate it because it took the trauma out of shopping (like the night in Kroger when I sat down on patio furniture and sobbed because I couldn't find the Velveeta and couldn't walk another step).

I found that not all of them beep backing up, but I remember that first humilation, too--in Target, on the Barbie aisle.

I haven't had to use a motorized cart for over half a year now. I don't miss them! But man, I'm sure glad they were there when I needed them.

I'm so impressed by Daniel and Lo. It really makes a difference when you have a lot of support.

Maddie said...

I am so sorry you have been going through broken ankle hell but I am so glad you have rock star support. Daniel, Lo and your family fucking rule. You will get through this and never have to ride in a putt putt (that's what my mum calls the electronic shopping rides) again.

Today I'm going to see my sister, she has a hairdresser she really likes...I'll ask her for details and send you a text later today. K? xoxo!

rockandcookies said...

Becky: It took the trauma and pain out of shopping, for sure. I can relate to your Kroger experience! By the time I got home I was exhausted and wanted to cry and not sure I could even make it to the sofa. There's a chance I will go for the cart thing again, maybe. There's a better chance, however, that Daniel will be going on a solo mission for groceries again this week. It saves money for him to go alone anyway because he doesn't think eye shadow counts as groceries. I am impressed by Daniel and Lo too. I am very lucky to have them!

Pants: Putt Putt... I can't call them that because that was my mother's acceptable term for passing gas because to use the word "Fart" would have gotten us in as much trouble as "Crap" or "Butt" any other terrible cuss word. Hair info is greatly appreciated!

Stacey said...

Hi. So first I want to say, I'm so sorry for what happen to you ankle, damn shoes!! "Always wear cute pointy shoes" is a hard lesson to learn.
Second, motorized shopping carts are linked to emotional break downs. ie: When I broke my ankle the next day my roommates made a stop at the store and so I had to ride a care around and half way through I had an emotional break down in the Cheese Aisle at Albersons (I still can't look at chedder). It was either the shock of broken ankle or the Loratab, (I blame the later) well good luck with all! Sounds like you have great family!!

Sarah Bellum said...

Amy Maddux at Bladework. It's by the University.

She's fantastic and actually listens to what you want. I've gone to her for a couple years--with the exception of her six month hiatus to Japan.

My split ends and I ended up forgiving her when she moved home.

Fancy Pants said...

I am sooo sorry about your ankle! Holler if you need anything!! (since I just hang out now, I am usually available. lol)

Anonymous said...

A "Mother Hen" AND straight... You snagged yourself a good man. Can we go to wal-mart and drive around in the motorized carts? PLEASE oh PLEASE!
Love you. If you need anything let me know.

durenfamily said...

Sorry about your ankle and hope that you have a quick recovery.

Anonymous said...

I fell while ice skating on a first date and ended up with 6 screws and a plate. It gets better, trust me! I stayed in for about a week and then was on my own. It was hard, but I had friends who chipped in and helped. Luckily the admin for our floor lived in my neighborhood and bless her, she picked me up daily to take me to work, even postponing vacations so I could go to work.

I had a cast for about 3 months and then a cam walker for about 2. Once I got the cam walker I could start driving myself again.

Work hard at your physical therapy when it starts. I was doing really well and slacked off and still don't have all of the range of motion or strength in my right ankle and it has been about 6 years.

You'll make it through since you have friends and family to help out! It's not as bad as it seems and think of the great stories you can tell and metal detectors you can now set off!