Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My heart hurts.

Lo: "The reason Serena and I want to play around here, by our houses, is we can't play at School. Serena is a popular kid at school, and I'm one of the kids that gets teased a lot... So she has to be mean to me at school or she'll get teased. But then we can be friends after school."

Me: "No. That's not how friendship works. If you're friends you're friends all the time, no matter what. You tell her that. Tell her that if she wants to be mean at school but friends after school, she can just find other friends because you don't want a friend like that. And it will be okay. You don't need her for a friend."

Lo: "Okay." ... Said with a smile, and as if she understood.

What the hell am I supposed to do? Please someone give me the instruction book for raising a beautiful and bright but sort of eccentric and fairly awkward little girl into a young woman?

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

look at her mama, or her mamas sisters. Im fairly certain she will come into adulthood with plenty of bruises but I think she will be ok. We made it through to the other side somehow..

I think you said the perfect thing that needed to be said. Lo is way to rad to be friends with a girl like that!

rockandcookies said...

Thank you... I just wish I could protect her from all of those bruises, you know? Like, she has the means like we didn't have growing up. She chooses to be the way she is. If she wanted big bows in her hair, sparkley white sneakers, and a spot on the soccer team, she could have them...

Not that I'm saying I want her to... her awesome mismatchedness (clothing and otherwise) is part of what will add to her character as she grows up, and I know that. I just wish there was something I could do about the bumps along the way.

Maddie said...

I was trying to think of something to say, then I read Suzanne's comment and she pretty much nailed it. Lo is a beautiful, smart, awesome girl and you are doing a great job.

durenfamily said...

Hey, I think you are doing a great job! That is a hard answer because either way she will feel bad.

Anonymous said...

All you can do is be the best mom you can for her. Be there for her anytime she needs you... which you are, and you seem to be really open with her. I think she will always be confident in her eccentricities b/c she has such positive reinforcement from her family (you, sue, wendy,etc). I can only imagine how it breaks your heart, and as hard as it is on her, it is worse for you. She will get through it as we all have to. You are the most important factor in her life. As long as you make her feel special and good about herself, I think, in then end, thats all that will matter. Once she hits high school, it'll be cool to be different and not run with the pack (at least thats how it was at my hs). Jr. high is the god awful most horrible time ever!

Sarah Bellum said...

Lo is going to be just fine. That kid is absolutely stunning, inside and out. She'll make her way in the world and people will remember her.

I can't imagine how much that must have hurt to hear though. It sorta makes me want to punch that little Serena.

Lori said...

Well I am behind on your life stalking. I'm glad you are doing better. I guess there will be no more rail grinding for you in the future.

As for Lo, man... little kids are lame (not Lo, the friend). Cohen is having his "You're not my friend anymore" issues at school this year and it makes me want to punch the kids. Especially because Cohen is quirky, awesome and PERFECT to me (despite his random sassiness). Suzanne said it best. Look how many people love you craze Cle-mhets gals. All will be well.